Monday 5 March 2012

It's bacon time.

The snack of choice this weekend was bacon-wrapped water chestnuts. This is another recipe I've helped my family make so many times it's basically burned into my brain. They make excellent appetizers, but don't go pre-making them the night before a party; they're addictive and you WILL eat them.

Water chestnuts are not really chestnuts at all, but are actually an aquatic vegetable that grows in marshes, under the mud. They have a sweet, crunchy texture that I normally enjoy in stir-fry, but also make an awesome snack.

Not to mention, a fellow blogger has been asking for some bacon-related recipes, probably to wash down with some crazy new beer. Well, here you go.




Ingredients:
  • Bacon, 1 pack
  • Water chestnuts, 3 cans
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce OR worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar (Not pictured. I forgot to buy this.) 
  • Garlic salt to taste


Drain and rinse the water chestnuts. Combine them with the ketchup, sauce, garlic salt, and brown sugar in a wide pan. Let soak for 15 minutes.

I hope the coloured toothpick dye wasn't poisonous.

Cut your pack of bacon slices into thirds, making 40 or so 2-3 inch slices. Take the water chestnut out of the sauce, wrap in a piece of bacon, place on a greased baking sheet, and stab with a toothpick.

And then repeat 40 or so times.


Bake at 350 degrees Celsius for 50-60 minutes. Pull them out, let cool, and enjoy.

Try not to eat your computer screen.


14 comments:

  1. Everything tastes better when it's wrapped in bacon. These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So when are you coming over to 116 Collier to make us dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever you want... but I don't think you guys can afford me!

      Delete
  3. Nom nom nom. I want to lick the screen. If I had known this recipe when I was in university I would have actually been able to finish a can of water chestnuts in less than a day. I used to buy them for when I made stir fry and curry, but I never needed the entire can for one meal so the unused ones would just sit in my fridge and eventually would get thrown out because I assumed they were probably no good anymore after a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a huge fan of the water chestnuts. That being said this recipe looks quite tasty. I can only the assume that the bacon plays a large roll in making it work for me. Well done on another interesting post. I've actually made the chili you posted about. It turned out pretty bad but that's only because I'm not a very good cook. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see what you have for St. Pattys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a big fan of the bacon, but I can't stop laughing at the first link you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Matt that looks amazing. I will have to try this as I can't imagine how this would taste. Definitely a combo I would have never thought of doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never tried water chestnuts before but anything with bacon is bound to be good. I think I may need to make some bacon-wrapped water chestnuts! Thanks for sharing Matt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a really picky eater and I've never tried water chestnuts before, but your blog is introducing me to some new recipes that I'm interested in eventually trying out. Great posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't even have to read your post before my mouth started to water... YUMM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mom makes these too. I usually just eat the bacon and ditch the chestnut but next time I promise to eat the whole thing, one bite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those poor piglets! Bacon does smell delicious though.

    ReplyDelete